Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Some Waterfront Comics Love in the Daily Republic

Waterfront Comics got a shout out in todays Daily Republic. Thank You Tony Wade for the mention.

Tony Wade: My upcoming Fairfield City Council appearance is giving me fits

By Tony Wade May 18, 2008

I'll be attending the Fairfield City Council meeting Tuesday night with other members of the Board of Directors of the United Mobile Home Owners Association of Fairfield. We are refinancing a bond that the city is being asked to back.

The proceeds from the bond will provide needed funds to fix the streets in the two parks in our association, Dover Mobile Home Park and Country Club Estates. We have held numerous discussions on this topic with very knowledgeable people, and I'm sure all of our ducks are in a row.

Still, I do have a few concerns. I naturally want to make a good impression on the mayor and councilmembers, so I'm giving serious consideration to my wardrobe. Specifically, what T-shirt should I wear?

At first, I thought I should I go with my Fred Sanford one that features a mug shot of Redd Foxx with the caption 'How would you like one across the lips?'

I'm also partial to my Three Stooges one with the wrap-around picture of Moe with one hand grabbing Larry's hair and the other with a finger up Curley's nose.

I know what you're thinking. You really can't go wrong with either one of those gems, and the councilmembers will be wowed either way.

Along with impressing the city's public servants with my slick duds, I also plan to slip them appropriate gifts as well. I'm not talking about bribes, just valuable tokens of my appreciation that should sweeten the deal and grease the wheels a bit, as they say. I think I have the perfect greasy wheel bribes . . . er, tokens in mind.

I'll bestow upon each councilmember one of the freebies I got on Free Comic Book Day from Waterfront Comics on May 3. The only problem is that all the comics are different. As a kid, my mom would avoid having to settle property disputes by giving me and brothers the same gift.

This worked well until my brother Kelvin and I both had wooden Fisher-Price toy clocks and he dropped his down the sewer. When I caught him playing with mine, I demanded he turn it over and the ensuing argument ended with him clonking me on my forehead with my own clock.

I've digressed . . . what the heck was I talking about? Oh, so the point I was trying to make was I'd hate to see Councilman Matt Garcia and Mayor Harry Price go at it like they are in an Ultimate Fighting Championship match over who gets the X-Men comic.

But that would be the most watched thing ever on Channel 26.

I'm sure it will go OK Tuesday. I guess my main hope is that they don't expect me to sing the City Council song I wrote last month.

No comments: