Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bad news I got today

Monday evening turned out to be a sad evening for me...

I got into the shop around 6 after spending all day working on the Sacramento house remodel and I logged onto my computer. After checking my email I went on to the CBIA which is a comic store retailer forum where retailers, publishers, etc. post various things about the world of comics. It is one of the tools I use to stay up to date and make the store better. The first subject I saw on the site made me feel like I had been punched in the stomach. Rory Root, owner of Comic Relief in Berkley had passed away after slipping into a coma after an emergency hernia operation.

I do not know if many of you have visited Comic Relief or had met Rory. I do know that if Comic Relief had not existed there may not be a Waterfront Comics. Rory was one of the original founders of Wondercon, one of the first retailers to realize that Trade Paperbacks would become a major force in comics, and unlike many in the industry someone who a newbie retailer could get advice from on how to run a comic store. I wish I had a chance to thank him again for all of the advice and early help he gave me when I first opened Waterfront.

After that I got a call from my Mom. Her husband has been fighting cancer for a few years now and after having it go in remission, it is now back. The doctors say it is inoperable and have recommended hospice care. While I knew that this was inevitable, I am very sad. I am happy though that my mom found her soulmate later in life and they had a few years to be happy together. I wish I had his attitude of focusing on the positives in life. He told me that he is happy he saw the births of two granddaughters, watching two sons grow into adults, and his daughter become a wife and mother.

Coming out of this I plan on doing a few things different. I plan on taking better care of myself, eating better, and doing things that will keep me around longer. I also plan on focusing on the positive things in life and finding peace and happiness in them. Thank you all for allowing me to do the greatest job in the world. I promise the next few posts will be more jolly

~John

No comments: